ESOS is a mandatory energy assessment scheme that requires all UK ‘large undertakings’ (a company with 250+ employees or an annual turnover of more than 50 million euros) to carry out ESOS assessments every 4 years. These assessments are audits of the energy used by their buildings, industrial processes and transport, to identify cost-effective energy saving measures.
The deadline for submissions is 5 December 2015 – and there are penalties for missing this!
If your organisation is fully covered by ISO 50001, then you are compliant with ESOS and just need to let the Environment Agency know. If not, then you need to:
1. Calculate your total energy consumption
2. Identify your areas of significant energy consumption
3. Appoint a registered lead assessor* (to carry out your energy audits and oversee the overall assessment)
4. Notify the Environment Agency – by 5 December 2015 (and every four years thereafter)
5. Keep records!
* Chris Hocknell, our Technical Director, is an experienced lead assessor. Chris spoke at this year’s Sustainability Live conference on “ESOS – Beyond the audit” and how to prioritise energy savings measures.
Get in touch with Chris to discuss your requirements at email@example.com.
Full guidance is available online https://www.gov.uk/energy-savings-opportunity-scheme-esos